I randomly decided one day last week that I wanted to make banana bread - even though I haven't ever before.  I am quite an avid baker and cook anyway though, so it was just something different to try.  I wanted it to be Christmassy though and opted for a banana bread with a bit of cinnamon.  I don't know about you but cinnamon or gingerbread flavours just taste like Christmas should! Whether it's a coffee, biscuit or cake, it should taste of cinnamon at this time of year.  I had a little sift through google and found two recipes which both had elements I thought I would like, so I combined aspects of them - and as they're both American recipes with different measurements, I switched them over to British measures and adjusted them a little.  I'll link both recipes here and here, as they were my inspiration - but if you're a fellow brit, sticking to this may be easier!

What you will need:
preheat your oven to 180c

For the bread:
3 Ripe Bananas
1 egg
1 Tsp of Vanilla
60g of Butter
100g of Sugar (I had caster sugar to hand, but granulated is better to get that crumbly texture)
1 Tsp of Baking Powder
A pinch of salt
200g of Plain Flour (opt for wholemeal if you're feeling like being more healthy - but I use this for other cakes and bakes too so I had it to hand)

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
1 TBsp of Sugar
1 TBsp of Cinnamon

For the glaze:
70g of Icing Sugar
1 TBsp of Milk (anything you have is fine, but opt for cream if you're feeling a little decadent!)

Method:
1. Mash your bananas and put to one side.
2. Beat the egg in a separate bowl
3. Add the bananas, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix well!
4. Add the baking powder and pinch of salt to the top of the mixture - don't mix it in until the next step
5. Add the flour slowly - and don't over mix.  The mixture should be thick, and a little lumpy...mmm
6. Time to make the cinnamon swirl! This is the easiest part in my opinion.  Take the sugar and the cinnamon and mix it together!
7. Add half of the banana bread mixture to the loaf pan (I should mention that the pan should be greased with butter before this point!)
8. Add the cinnamon and sugar mixture from step 6 over the banana bread mixture - then pop the rest of the banana bread mixture on top!
9. Just before popping it in the oven sprinkle a pinch of sugar and cinnamon over the top
10. Cook in the oven for around 45-50 minutes, just make sure you check it.  If you can stick a skewer through the middle and it comes out clean, it's ready.
11. Leave to cool on a wire wrack still in the tin for 15 mintues - then remove and leave until fully cool.
12. While it's cooling mix up your glaze.  Simply whisk your icing sugar with your milk/cream (I used milk).  When the banana bread is completely cool spoon your glaze over the top and leave for 10 minutes to set - just a little warning it will run everywhere, so I put a plate under my wire wrack to catch the drips.

So now feel free to cut yourself a generous slice and grab a cup of tea!  For extra tastyness pop your cinnamon swirl banana bread treat in the microwave until warm - absolute wintery heaven.  Enjoy!